In today’s technology-based world, marketing is crucial for success in business. Marketing is an effort to attract and engage with your target audience and promote your business across a variety of platforms and networks. Your business’ marketing strategy can include branding, services, prices, promotions, products, blogs, advertising, research, and social media. Most importantly, marketing is an opportunity for your business to communicate potential and current customers, ultimately expanding your audience. Here are some simple steps to help you market your small business:
1. Get organized. Developing an organized plan is the first step in any marketing effort. Begin with brainstorming, create themes, and convert ideas into actions. Calendars and to-do lists are your friends; they keep you focused and organized. Part of your organization plan can also include the steps you need to take to kickstart your marketing plan.
2. Design an attractive & engaging website. Google has taken cyberspace by storm. It’s a life-changing tool and can break or make your business, which is why you need a responsive website that potential clients can search for online. This is where search-engine optimization (SEO) comes in. SEO helps your business reach higher ranks on Google, so people can find you more quickly and easily. Also, it’s important to make your website mobile-friendly because so many use their smart phones and tablets to surf the web.
3. Be a social media butterfly. Everyone’s on social media these days, especially Facebook. In fact, the majority of traffic still occurs on Facebook, so it’s crucial you create a Facebook page for your business. Through social media, you can expand your reach even further, not to mention your potential and current customers can engage with your business through posting their own reviews, experiences, sharing your posts, and promoting your brand.
4. Establish a network. One of the most effective ways of establishing a network is to create local awareness. Join business associations, chambers, and community groups. Create connections early on and make your mark by finding ways to get involved. Networking is a great way to meet new contacts, create brand awareness, and generate business leads. You may also consider sponsoring nonprofit, sporting, or community events to get your name out there.
5. Advertise. Advertising promotes your business, products, and services. Advertising can be achieved through websites, social media, television, newspapers, pamphlets, banners, stickers, apparel, radio, and so much more. Every business is different, so the advertising approach for each business will vary. The important thing is to find what works best for you and stay consistent and engaged. Let them know who you are and don’t let them forget you.
6. Be consistent and committed. It takes time to see progress but be patient. Consistency is imperative for continuously attracting your target audience through different marketing strategies. However, if you do notice there hasn’t been much progress, it’s time to re-evaluate and survey to determine why there’s no progress and then create a solution.
The Long Island Center for Business and Professional Women celebrates, connects, and supports women entrepreneurs, business owners, and professionals. Because we are dedicated to women’s professional advancement and equal opportunity for women in the business, we offer networking opportunities, member education, community involvement, and personal and professional development. Join us at our upcoming Holiday Networking Party on Wednesday, November 28, 2018 to network with other professional and business women and to find out more about our organization.